Pawleys Island Historic District
Pawleys is one of the few SC Sea Islands with surviving original antebellum and late nineteenth-century beach homes.
Rustic summer retreats border the Atlantic on the east end of the island, about midway between the north and south ends. Each home has survived several major hurricanes that decimated most other parts of the island, most recently, Hazel in 1955 and Hugo in 1989.
The P.C.J. Weston House/Pelican Inn, a pre-Civil War summer residence of rice planter Plowden Charles Jenerette Weston. It was constructed of cypress planks from Hagley Plantation. Weston and his cousin William St. Julien Mazyk owned the house until he sold it to the Atlantic Coast Lumber Company.
The Ward/Liberty Lodge has original hand-hewn sills and joints and stands on land once owned by Joshua J. Ward, rice planter and state Lieutenant Governor from 1850-52. One of the oldest houses on the island, the Ward House, was moved here after 1858.
All Saints Summer Parsonage/Rectory and the All Saints Academy Summer House, belonged to All Saints Episcopal Church. The Parsonage, built by 1848, housed planters’ evening summer services. The Summer Academy, circa 1838 -1848, was the summer residence of area rice planters’ children’s school headmaster.
The Joseph Blyth Allston House/Pawleys House, circa 1800, sits on land that belonged to R.F.W. Allston, Governor of SC, 1856-58. Allston’s nephew, Joseph Blyth Allston, moved the house here circa 1866.
Each of these homes is a private residence. All are easily seen from Myrtle Avenue, which runs the length of the island.